How to prepare for moving to Australia or New Zealand as a GP

GP Moving to Australia or New Zealand – how to prepare

Whether you are completing your training soon or are thinking about moving in the next year or two, you might be thinking about what you can do to prepare yourself for the move. The process for relocating can take anything from 3 – 12 months so it’s good to make sure you have everything you need to save any future delays in paperwork.

There are of course, lots of considerations for moving to Australia or New Zealand as a GP. You will need to think about where you want to live; in central Melbourne or Auckland or the hills of Adelaide. Are you seeking adventure on the south island of New Zealand or a remote GP job in the outback or would you like to learn to fly? What type of practice would you like to join and where will be best for your family?

I’ve lived and worked in Australia and travelled to New Zealand so can help you with any questions you may have. Once you have decided we’ll find you your dream job! Very quickly after this, we’ll move on to your GP medical registration paperwork and visas for GP and family.

I’ve put together a short list of practical paperwork that you can make a start with to make your life easier once we’re helping you with the paperwork.

Have all your GP certificates ready

As a general guide you will your GP training certificate(s), evidence of registration including certificate of good standing, your primary medical degree and passport. If you have worked and held medical registration in another country from where you’re currently working, you may need a certificate of good standing from there.

Continuing Professional Development for RACGP (CPD)

For Australia specifically, you must prove you have completed 50 hours of CPD in the last 12 months at the time of application. If you don’t have this then get in touch so we can explain the best way to make sure your CPD is suitable.

Relationship evidence for Immigration Australia or New Zealand

Do you want to take a Partner or family with you? If you’re not married then you will need to provide evidence of living together for 12 months minimum. We can provide a full list of what is acceptable evidence or the Australian and New Zealand Immigration process.

CVs for GP Jobs in New Zealand or Australia

It doesn’t need to be complicated; potential employers will know you are a GP however it’s a nice touch to add some information about you and your reasons for relocating and any additional skills or personality traits you can bring to the team. We can provide a template for you.

GP Training or Additional courses

We’re often asked if it’s necessary to complete any additional specialist courses. This isn’t required; medical practices are looking for good all round GPs who will complement their practice. If you have areas of interest such as women’s health, minor surgery, teaching or dermatology, these are all great. But only do further study if this is an area of interest.

If you can think of anything else you’d like me to add or any other questions then please do get in touch!

Further Reading

What to ship to New Zealand 

Moving to Australia and New Zealand FAQs

How to move pets to New Zealand or Australia

Education system in New Zealand